“Dream as if you'll live forever, live as if you'll die today.” - James Dean

My photo
Surabaya, Jawa Timur, Indonesia
"Imperfection is beauty, madness is genius and it's better to be absolutely ridiculous than absolutely boring." - Marilyn Monroe.

Content

Friday, April 1, 2011

How To Be A Hepburn In A Hilton World by Jordan Christy


How To Be A Hepburn In A Hilton World by Jordan Christy is a how-to book for young women/professionals about becoming a classy woman. I first picked up this book without realizing it was non-fiction; I was just intrigued by the catchy title and the cute cover. When I found out it was more of a self-help book, I was still willing to give it a try.

In a world where most young girls strive to gain attention (and not always in a good way), Christy sets out to teach readers that being classy and wholesome is better than being skanky and crazy.

I have mixed feelings about this book. Some of the chapters were completely useful and interesting. I especially liked the chapter about finding your personal style and accessorizing for work which is something I’m dealing with on a daily basis. I also enjoyed the chapter about makeup and finding the right color palette for you.

A chapter on work ethic proved interesting, if not completely obvious.

However, some of the chapters I couldn’t even believe I was seriously reading a book that had been written in the 21st century. The chapter that immediately comes to mind is the one where Jordan Christy tells readers that it is absolutely NOT OKAY for young women to ask a guy out, send him a text first or make the first move. HELLO?! Is this 1955? I get that all women should be classy and we shouldn’t be drunkenly throwing ourselves at a guy at a bar in a mini-skirt, but since when does it hurt to show a little interest? I don’t know. I just couldn’t get behind this chapter. She even goes so far to interview “real guys” who all prove her point…right.

I read this book fairly quickly and skimmed through some of the more boring sections. I admire Christy’s goal in publishing this book. I completely agree that we should all try to be a little more Audrey Hepburn than Paris Hilton, but I think the message was lost in the pages of this book.

RATING: 4/10

No comments:

Post a Comment