“Dream as if you'll live forever, live as if you'll die today.” - James Dean

My photo
Surabaya, Jawa Timur, Indonesia
"Imperfection is beauty, madness is genius and it's better to be absolutely ridiculous than absolutely boring." - Marilyn Monroe.

Content

Friday, April 1, 2011

LA Candy by Lauren Conrad


I was pleasantly surprised when I finished reading L.A. Candy by Lauren Conrad. As I mentioned before, I wasn’t expecting much from the MTV star, but I was truly impressed by her writing and the story.

L.A. Candy tells the story of Jane Roberts, a nineteen year old who moved to L.A. with her best friend Scarlett. Jane moved to L.A. to intern for prestigious event planner Fiona Chen, while Scarlett moved to L.A. to attend USC. After being spotted by a producer out at a club, the girls are asked if they’d like to be part of a new reality TV show for PopTV featuring 4 girls who moved to L.A. for different reasons. Jane and Scarlett are a bit skeptical, but they decide to go for an interview.

Jane and Scarlett find out that they have been hired for the show and instantly, their whole world changes. The girls meet Madison and Gaby, their co-stars and Scarlett immediately gets a bad vibe from Madison. Jane, always friendly wants to give them a chance. Almost overnight, Jane and Scarlett became famous leading to problems at work, with boys, and even in their own friendship.

Throughout the taping of the show within the book, Jane is shocked and surprised to learn that reality TV isn’t as real as she once thought. When she is asked to enter and re-enter a club’s entrance 5 times and when her producer text messages her during a dinner to ask Jane to smile and speak more loudly, Jane is confused and upset.

Towards the end of the book, Jane learns some tough lessons about who can and can’t be trusted.

Many people believe that this book is loosely based on The Hills. As a huge fan of The Hills, I definitely believe that and like to think that this book is Lauren’s “fictional” way of telling fans what really went down behind the scenes on The Hills.

I honestly LOVED this book. The only thing I didn’t love so much was the ending. The end of the book was fast-paced and exciting and I was turning the pages quickly and then all of a sudden it was over. I double checked to make sure I wasn’t missing a chapter. I quickly logged online and learned that Conrad signed a 3 book deal and that the chapter I thought was missing will be included in the next book. I’m all for a cliffhanger ending, but I do like a little bit of closure, at least to hold me over until the next book!

RATING : 10/10

No comments:

Post a Comment